Larry J. Guffey is a former senior manager in the industrial products industry. As such, he has a uniquely broad background that provides him with insight into the business, legal and strategic challenges facing technology- oriented entrepreneurs.
His clients include major research universities, manufacturing companies, medium and small-sized service businesses, internet service companies and individual inventors and entrepreneurs. He began his engineering career with Owens-Corning and quickly rose through the engineering ranks and into a management career.
His legal career has been enhanced by his personalized study and development of a high-level of expertise in patent claim drafting. This expertise in patent claim drafting is evidenced by the fact that he is, for his internet service company clients, still able to obtain patents on “business methods” by overcoming 35 USC 101 “abstract idea” – Alice claim rejections.
He was a principal founder of the Intellectual Property Law Section of the Maryland State Bar Association and was elected its first Chairperson.
- J.D., University of Houston
- Ph.D. Studies (Geophysical Fluid Dynamics; completed all but the dissertation) Johns Hopkins University
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Johns Hopkins University
- B.S. in Aerospace Engineering, University of Virginia
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
- State of Maryland